Thursday, August 8, 2013

THE STORY OF THE DIY MAKE-UP BAG

Hello.


This thrilling tale begins with a free Clinique make-up bag, owned by my sister and often used by myself. But one day, the sister decided to claim it back as her own, and i was at a loss as to what i could put my make-up in. You see, i faced the terrible issue of owning bags that were either too big or too small. None were as perfectly sized as that damn Clinique one!

Sitting in a lecture hall at university, pondering this conundrum of mine (as you do), i realised that i had at my disposal the ability to make all that was wrong, right. You see, i could just sew my OWN version of that perfect bag. 

And so that is exactly what i did. 


Above is the infamous original. I don't even particularly like its pattern and fabric, but they were overlooked for its perfect dimensions.


I started by assembling my fabrics. I figured i needed something with quite a bit of body and stiffness to it, but as i didn't have anything with enough weight in a pretty pattern, i combined the [thin] fabric of a vintage (read: old, from op shop) pillow case with a heavy twill to be used as lining (the orange stuff). The size was figured out by simply measuring the above bag, and adding seam allowances


For added strength, i lined the main, outer fabric with some iron-on interfacing


Outer and lining fabrics cut


i found a lilac zip that matched the size of the cut fabric pieces, and sewed it down, right side of zip to right side of fabric. I the repeated this step for the other pattern piece...


...resulting in this, as seen from the outside


and as seen from the inside. I then sewed the bottom and side seams together.


To give the bag some structure, i marked off each bottom corner of the bag, and sewed it closed...


...creating this effect. The seams were simply pinking sheared, to prevent fraying.


My only real concern was this gaping opening at one end of the zip. I decided to rectify this by sewing in a little tab, to cover/fill the gap as well as provide something to grab onto.


This was simply done by getting some ribbon and sewing in to the side seams, on the inside of the bag. I tied a knot into it basically for aesthetic reasons - it just looked better with it!


(Pinned down and ready to be sewn)

* * *

Et Voila!
(pretty much the extent of my seven years of french education)

One just-as-good-as-my-sister's-Clinique bag! I've taken a shot with them next to one another, so that they may be compared. Isn't mine wayyyyyy better?!? (Maybe don't answer that, let me continue my state of smugness!) And all done in an afternoon. This afternoon in fact!


And one final shot of the bag in action!


Actually, this is about 1/8 of the make-up i own and use, but i thought it would be a bit ridiculous to show the reality (i.e the bag being full to the brim...)

The End. 

No comments:

Post a Comment